Presenting at WVU STEM SURE

Amanda Harker (September 17, 2013)

This summer I had the opportunity to participate in the STEM SURE Program at West Virginia University.

Through this internship I was able to work again with my faculty mentor, Dr. Wesley Burnett from the Division of Resource Management in the Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design. Our project this summer focused on shale gas development and its effect on housing prices in surrounding areas. We focused on the Barnett Shale formation in the Dallas Fort-Worth region of Texas and compared median listing price per square foot with shale gas well logs, provided by the Texas Rail Road Commission. We compared the development by county and utilized an experimental design to understand if housing price fluctuations could be contributed to gas well development. This project aided me in understanding what life would be as a graduate student. I had an amazing experience and even had my own desk in the grad office. Through this internship, I was able to network with faculty and other graduate students, and spend my entire summer in my absolute favorite place, the Agricultural Sciences Building. The SURE Program also provided GREpreparation, seminars on graduate life, information regarding funding opportunities for graduate school, the opportunity to meet professionals from different fields, and a way to further my research career. I believe McNair led me to the opportunity with the STEM SURE Program. My preparation under the McNair Scholars Program eased my way through this summer. McNair Scholars Program has been a turning point in my life and has opened opportunities for me.

My poster presentation on the shale gas development and its effect on housing prices in the Dallas Fort-Worth region of Texas