Summer Research Program at Northwestern University

Jasmine Koech (August 20, 2013)

This summer, I attended Northwestern University to participate in the Summer Research Opportunity Program.

This experience was absolutely amazing. I conducted a research project in the field of social psychology under the mentorship of Dr. Jennifer Richeson. For eight weeks I lived in Evanston, IL, just a short train ride away from Chicago. I was able to explore the city attending many cultural events in the process, such as Fiesta del Sol, and visiting many museums like the Art Institute of Chicago. I learned more valuable research skills and was able to network with fellow scholars. This opportunity solidified the choice to attend graduate school in social psychology and gave me confidence in the application project. In addition to research experience, this program provided GRE prep training and presentation skills workshops. Without the McNair Scholars Program I would have never been able to think about graduate school as a reachable goal, much less attend a research internship at such a prestigious school. I owe my success to this program and the mentors that helped me grow. Thank you McNair, for giving me my future.

Me with my faculty mentor Dr. Richeson and the graduate student I worked with Dorainne Levy