Triple TRiO Participant

Shawnna Mullenax (2011 Scholar)

As a first-generation college student from Appalachia, I am a testament to the importance of education as a tool for social mobility. Enter a brief description of the person. This will be pulled into the profile index page(s). Only enter a sentence or two in this region.

My relationship with TRiO began over a decade ago as a participant of the Davis and Elkins College Upward Bound program. Through the help and guidance of Upward Bound, I became the first person in my family to attend college, followed by my sister who was also a participant in the program. At West Virginia University, I continued to benefit from TRiO programs as a member of Student Support Services. In my junior year, the staff at Student Support Services encouraged me to apply for the McNair Scholars program. I would not be in graduate school if it were not for the direction and support I received as a participant in the McNair Scholars program at WVU. Today I am a fully funded Ph.D. Candidate in Political Science at the University of Colorado Boulder. I am fortunate to be able to conduct important research in other countries, and teach my own courses at the university level. TRiO programs made higher education a reality for me, and I have already achieved more than I could have imagined with their assistance.