My dream was to be a psychologist

Kendra Thorne, M.S.

Since I was sixteen years old, my dream was to be a psychologist.

While I grew up in a loving and supportive household, the challenges of being a first-generation college student often made that dream seem unattainable. In the fall of 2012, I was blessed with the honor of being chosen as a McNair Scholar at West Virginia University (WVU), and I could never have comprehended the insurmountable impact that honor would accompany. The program took my passion, while providing support, guidance, and the proper quantity and quality of expectations, and created an environment where passion could flourish and dreams could become realities. Currently, as a second-year doctoral student, I have never felt more “in place”, and I owe a large part of that success to the preparation provided by Dr. Mei and the McNair Scholars program at WVU. While I cannot speak for other first-generation or underrepresented graduate students who have benefited from the Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program, I could never adequately express the gratitude I have for such an amazing program- a program that helped shape me for an exciting future that I may have never had otherwise.